Congratulations! Your film has been accepted to our 2011 festival! We look forward to working with you over the next few weeks to promote and screen your film, and we hope you can join us in Oxford.
This webpage is a reference guide and will hopefully answer many of your questions, but if you have other questions, please send us an email: email@example.com (Maybe it’s an answer that we need to add to the page….)
Pt. 1: INFO FOR ALL FILMMAKERS
PLEASE FILL OUT OUR ONLINE SURVEY LINKED HERE – we have lots of questions for you!
1. High-resolution photo for printed program (300 dpi or higher). If this is not in your WAB listing, or downloadable from your website, PLEASE SEND TO michelle[at]oxfordfilmfest.com BEFORE NEW YEAR’S (preferably sooner if possible). PRINTED PROGRAM HAS NOW GONE TO PRESS.
2. Fresh Judging copies (3). Most of you (but not all) sent us 3 copies with your entry, but they have been shared among the screening committee. We would like to send THREE NEW COPIES to our judges, who will be screening the films before they come to Oxford, and conferring on site. Therefore we need to mail their packets during the second week of January, before many of them go to Sundance. If you submitted your entry to us online, please let us know if you would like the judges to view the online version in your WAB profile. That is an option…. JUDGES COPIES HAVE BEEN DISTRIBUTED.
3. Exhibition Copy (Digital) + Trailer File. We are a primarily digital festival, screening digital files through the digital projectors at our local multiplex (Malco Theaters). But if you have a 35mm copy of your film, we would love to consider that, as the platters are still installed at the theater. Please send your quicktime or .avi in its native compression (DV-NTSC, DVCPro HD, HDV, etc). When exporting, do not choose an uncompressed export. If working in Final Cut, simply choose to export as a QuickTime, keeping the current settings and making the file self-contained.
We show trailers during our local presentations to promote the festival, on the campus local access channel, and on screen during the festival. Please send or upload the file of your trailer. (If you do not have a trailer, and are attending the festival, please plan to attend our Saturday morning workshop on making trailers.)
If any files are 2 GB or smaller, you can upload to our yousendit dropbox (click here). Larger files should be sent on thumbdrives or external hard drives, and arrive by January 7.
TRACKING NUMBERS ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED, especially if mailing during “holiday season”. If you are attending the festival, your thumbdrive or hard drive will be returned to you on site; if you are not attending, we will return by mail.
Where to send?
- If using regular mail, please send to Oxford Film Festival, P.O. Box 727, Oxford MS 38655 (USA).
- If using FedEx or UPS (requiring a street address), please send to Oxford Film Festival c/o Oxford Bicycle Co., 407 Jackson Ave., Oxford MS 38655
NOTE: WE DO NOT ACCEPT HD-Cam, BluRay, Digibeta, MiniDV, or other formats that require the rental of equipment. If you have any technical questions at any time, please contact Micah Ginn: micah[at]oxfordfilmfest.com
4. CLICK HERE TO CHECK YOUR FESTIVAL LISTING: This description will be used both online and in our printed program. Please check this description for accuracy, especially if you have more than one director (that may not have exported in our WAB file). Your summary may have been adjusted to be consistent with the style of the program. If you have any changes to make, please contact Michelle Emanuel, michelle[at]oxfordfilmfest.com, BEFORE NEW YEAR’S.
PRINTED PROGRAM HAS GONE TO PRESS.
5. Publicity. Take the TAKE FIVE QUESTIONNAIRE – On our website, we profile films and filmmakers – at least one per day – by asking them the same five questions. It’s a great way to make a connection with our audience before you arrive (and if you can’t make it to Oxford, it’s an opportunity to introduce yourself). CLICK HERE TO ANSWER TAKE FIVE.
6. Media Contacts. The Festival is sending press releases to media outlets, but if you are interested in additional publicity, please contact Melanie Addington, melanie[at]oxfordfilmfest.com, for additional information.
7. Merchandise Sales. We have a table, staffed by our volunteers, specifically for selling filmmaker merchandise (not to be confused with the table of free postcards and swag). This table is separate from festival merchandise, and can only accept payment via cash and/or check. We can sell your merch, even if you cannot attend the festival. FILMMAKERS RECEIVE 100% OF THEIR SALES. If you are interested in selling your merch at the festival, please contact Melanie Addington, melanie[at]oxfordfilmfest.com
Pt. 2: INFO FOR ATTENDING FILMMAKERS
APPROXIMATE FESTIVAL SCHEDULE – a detailed schedule will be posted to our website after New Year’s for public consumption. This approximate schedule is intended to guide you in making your travel plans. SCHEDULE HAS BEEN POSTED ONLINE.
CLICK HERE TO SEE YOUR FILM’S LISTING BEFORE IT GOES TO PRESS (contact Michelle — michelle[at]oxfordfilmfest.com if you have changes to make)
Thursday, February 10, 2011
Airport shuttles picking up at Memphis International Airport (70 miles away) at 11:am, 1:pm, 4:pm, 6:pm, and 7:pm
Filmmaker credentials (passes, etc.) will be available for pickup at the Downtown Inn and Suites unless alternate arrangements are made.
4:00-6:00pm Cocktail Party/Meet & Greet at the home of Donna Ruth Roberts (a member of our Advisory Board), across the street from the Downtown Inn.
7:00-8:15pm Thacker Mountain Radio (like Prairie Home Companion, but Southern) at the Lyric Theater, on the Courthouse Square.
8:30-9:00pm Festival opening ceremony
9:00-11:00pm Opening night films: Spanola Pepper Sauce Company (short) + Brother’s Justice (feature)
11:00pm-1:am Opening night party for filmmakers and sponsors
Friday, February 11, 2011
9:00-10:00am Producer Andrew Meyer (Fried Green Tomatoes, The Breakfast Club, Better Off Dead) speaks to students on campus, UM Fulton Chapel Auditorium.
11:00am Films start at Malco Oxford Studio Cinema (multiplex) on three screens, ending at 12:am.
11:30am-1:30pm Filmmaker luncheon at Snackbar.
1:30-3:30pm SPEED PITCH PANEL: your chance to meet people with distribution experience, both currently working in the industry or by having their films distributed. Filmmakers will have one minute to pitch their ideas to the panelists, and then the pitches will be discussed as a group. Last year’s panel yielded at least one distribution deal (Mississippi Queen signed with Cinetic Rights Management).
- Scheduled participants: Tracy Kilpatrick (producer and casting director), Debra Zimmerman (Women Make Movies), Paola Freccoro (Crowdstarter.com), Steven Beckman (Cinetic Rights Management), Ryan Watt and Nick Case (Paper Moon Films), Andrew Meyer (producer).
- ADVANCE RSVP IS REQUIRED TO PARTICIPATE IN THE PITCH, though you can attend/listen without RSVP. Contact Melanie to RSVP (melanie[at]oxfordfilmfest.com)
9:00pm-1:00am Party for filmmakers, guests and sponsors at Rooster’s Blues House (Courthouse Square)
12:00am Optional excursion to Graceland Too in Holly Springs, MS.
Saturday, February 12, 2011
10:00am Films start at Malco Oxford Studio Cinema (multiplex) on three screens until 8:30pm.
Free children’s programming at the Oxford-Lafayette Co. Public Library starts at 10:00am
10:00am-12:00pm Workshop: Crafting Effective Trailers to Promote Your Film, Malco Screen 3
- Workshop led by Danny Retz (film editor)
12:00pm-2:00pm Panel: A Conversation with Michael Adams (author of Showgirls, Teen Wolves, and Astro Zombies: A Film Critic’s Year-Long Quest to Find the Worst Movie Ever Made)
8:30-9:30pm Award Ceremony, Malco Screen 1
9:30pm-12:00am Party at Powerhouse Community Arts Center
Sunday, February 13, 2011
10:00am-12:00pm Filmmaker brunch at City Grocery.
12:00pm Films start at Malco Oxford Studio Cinema (multiplex) on three screens, ending at 6:pm.
Airport shuttle departure times: 5:00 or 6:00am (depending on demand), 10:00am, 4:00pm.
NOTE: the airport is 70 miles away. You should plan 1 to 1.5 hours to get there (weather pending) in addition to the time it will take you to check-in, etc. Please plan your flights accordingly.
Can the festival fly me in? No, unfortunately we cannot. But we can pick you up, and give you a place to stay.
Can the festival provide me with a rental car? No, unfortunately we cannot. But we can pick you up, and take you where you need to go in town. Much of the “cool stuff” (restaurants, shops, etc.) are within walking distance of your hotel. Our shuttles, this year provided by Rock Star Taxi, can take you to/from the theater.
Can the festival put up my entire cast and crew? No, but we can pay for ONE ROOM and offer you the same discounted rate, $90/night, that we get at the same hotel (or suggest other cheaper hotels). When you know your itinerary, please contact Melanie Addington, melanie[at]oxfordfilmfest.com to set this up.
How many passes can I get? This depends on what you need. We have different types of passes. We have ALL ACCESS passes (which include all films, panels, parties, luncheon/brunch, and the on-site green room), 4-day passes (which include all films and panels, but no parties nor green room), day passes (wristbands good for that day’ s films and panels), and individual film passes (good for one film only, pending availability, cannot be purchased for a specific film).
Each film receives FOUR (4) all access passes, which includes the director’s pass.
Additional all-access passes = $50 each (but due to space issues, cannot include access to filmmaker luncheon or Sunday brunch), regular price = N/A to general public
Additional 4-day passes = $30 each, regular price = $50
Additional day passes = $10 each, regular price = $15
Additional film passes = $5 each, regular price = $8
Extra passes need to be purchased here, via Paypal, IN ADVANCE OF THE FESTIVAL, so as not to confuse our volunteer staff. Please include the name of your film in the “instructions to vendor” box. Extra passes will be included with your filmmaker’s credentials when you arrive, unless we receive other instructions.
Please ask us: firstname.lastname@example.org — We’re looking forward to meeting you!